Washington Hall in Old Washington was originally built as a hotel in 1820 in an attempt to maintain Washington as the county seat for Mason County. The attempt did not work and the county seat was moved to Maysville, which had grown with the river traffic.
The building was most recently used to house small shops. Each room held a different shop that visitors could get items from before taking them to the front and paying. In the back of the building there was an apartment, where the owner of the building normally lived.