One of the oldest Executive residences in the United States, Kentucky’s Old Governor’s Mansion has a rich and diverse history, and stands as a reminder of the growth and history of our state. From its construction as Kentucky’s first Governor’s residence and office of the Governor, through its nearly fifty years as the official residence of our Lieutenant Governors, this building has seen more historic events and has borne witness to more important persons than almost any home in the Commonwealth.
Built in 1797-8 in the Federal style, the home was first occupied by our second governor, James Garrard and his family.
From 1798 until 1914, thirty-five governors and their families lived and entertained here, with James McCreary as the last governor to reside at the mansion. The mansion served as the office of the Governor until the 1872 Annex building was constructed next to the Old State Capitol in downtown Frankfort. For several years even after the Governor’s office relocated to the Old Capitol Annex, the Mansion remained a work space for the governor.
Several important visitors to the Governor’s Mansion include Andrew Jackson, Henry Clay, William Jennings Bryan, and Theodore Roosevelt. However, when General Lafayette of France visited Frankfort on his tour of the southern states in 1825, Governor Desha received and met with General Lafayette at the Weisiger Tavern, not the Governor’s Mansion as expected.
Due to the early instability and speculation on whether the capital of Kentucky would remain located in Frankfort, the Governor’s Mansion sometimes suffered from neglect and lack of funding for renovations. While it did receive a modest renovation and new furnishings around 1818, in 1858 a major renovation of the house included enlarging the windows, a new front doorway, and several other touches that brought it up to date with the then popular Greek Revival-style. This renovation, however, was short lived as a major fire in the 1890’s damaged the home and destroyed many of the Governor’s papers and state documents.
Upon the completion of the New State Capitol across the river in 1910, it was decided, finally, to replace this older, disused house with a more substantial residence for the First Family.
Thursday, March 22, 2012
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Lexington Herald-Leader:Tom Eblen
Lafayette Academy was built between 1817 and 1820 for John P. Aldridge's Lancasterian Academy. His students included the future architect Gideon Shryock, who designed Transylvania University's Old Morrison and the Old State Capitol in Frankfort.
Aldridge's building soon became Col. Josiah Dunham's Lexington Female Academy, whose students came from 11 states and included the daughters of Lexington's most prominent families. By 1825 — the height of Lexington's fame as the "Athens of the West" — the academy had 135 pupils, nine instructors and a governing board that included statesman Henry Clay and Transylvania President Horace Holley.
That star power is probably what led the 67-year-old French general to stop by for a tribute on the afternoon of May 16, 1825. He was visiting Lexington as part of a celebrated tour across the grateful nation he helped create.
Lafayette arrived with a military escort and the governors of Kentucky and Tennessee in tow. Dunham's pupils sang patriotic songs and recited verse in both English and French. "It was here that as successful an effort was made to gratify our visitor as has been attempted in any quarter of the union," the Kentucky Gazette reported.
Lafayette was moved, according to another published account. "Well may this heart, old, but warm in its feelings, palpitate, at the sound of your patriotic and affectionate accents," he told the young ladies.
In honor of the general's visit, Dunham had renamed his school Lafayette Female Academy. Enrollment grew and the building's rear wing was added about 1830.
Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/03/12/2106400/marquis-de-lafayette-would-be.html#storylink=misearch#storylink=cpy