Holly Rood - Later known as Clark Mansion - is one of the most historic homes in Clark County. It's construction was started 1813 by James Clark (12th Governor of Kentucky) and followed simple lines of federal style architecture from his native Virgina. Upon completion in 1814, the new house was named Holly Rood for the home of Mrs. Clark's father. He had named his home in Virgina after the country estate of Mary, Queeen of Scots. The home is open to individual and group guided tours by special arrangements.
Wednesday, August 28, 2013
Sunday, August 25, 2013
Wednesday, August 21, 2013
Texian (i.e., Republic of Texas) Army, theUnited States Army, and the Confederate States Army. He saw extensive combat during his military career, fighting actions in the Texas War of Independence, the Mexican-American War, the Utah War, and the American Civil War.
Considered by Confederate President Jefferson Davis to be the finest (and the second-highest ranking) general officer in the Confederacy before the emergence of Robert E. Lee, he was killed early in the Civil War at the Battle of Shiloh and was the highest-ranking officer, Union or Confederate, killed during the entire war.Davis believed the loss of Johnston "was the turning point of our fate".
Tuesday, August 20, 2013
It is of Italianate style with a majestic two- story clock tower rising above the building.
The courthouse was built on the site of a previous courthouse that was destroyed by fire in 1860.
Thursday, August 15, 2013
Clay was the son of Greene and Sally Clay. Born 1810 and died 1903. Known as the " Lion of Whitehall", Clay was a cousin of Henry Clay; abolitionist; Ambassador to Russia; and Union General.
Cassius Clay was a pioneer, a southern aristocrat who became a prominent anti-slavery crusader. He was a son of Green Clay, one of the wealthiest landowners and slaveholders in Kentucky. Clay worked toward emancipation, both as a Kentucky state representative and as an early member of the Republican Party. He spent 25 years of his life publishing "The True American" before Lincoln tapped him and asked, "Tell me about your Proclamation of Emancipation."
Clay attended Transylvania University and then graduated from Yale College in 1832. While at Yale, he heard abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison speak, and Garrison's lecture inspired Clay to join the antislavery movement. Garrison’s arguments were to him “as water is to a thirsty wayfarer.” Clay was politically pragmatic, supporting gradual legal change rather than the immediacy of the Garrisonians. 
Clay served three terms in the Kentucky House of Representatives, but he lost support among Kentucky voters as his platform became more focused on ending slavery. His anti-slavery activism won him enemies. During a political debate in 1843, he survived an assassination attempt by a hired gun, named Sam Brown, and despite being shot in the chest, and being restrained by the attacker's confederates, he defended himself, seriously wounding his attacker with his Bowie knife and throwing him over an embankment.
In 1845, he began publishing an anti-slavery newspaper called the True American in Lexington, Kentucky. Within a month he received death threats, had to arm himself, and had to barricade the doors of his newspaper office for protection. Shortly after, a mob of about sixty men broke into his office and seized his printing equipment, which they shipped to Cincinnati, Ohio. Clay continued publication there.
Again in 1849 while making a speech for slave emancipation he was attacked by the six Turner brothers, who beat, stabbed and attempted to shoot him, in the ensuing fight Clay fought off all six and killed Cyrus Turner after regaining his Bowie knife that had been taken from him earlier in the fight.
Even though he opposed the annexation of Texas, Clay served in the Mexican-American War as a Captain from 1846 to 1848. His connections to the northern antislavery movement remained strong, and he was a founder of the Republican party and a friend ofAbraham Lincoln, supporting him for the presidency. Clay was briefly a candidate for the vice presidency at the 1860 Republican National Convention, but lost the nomination to Hannibal Hamlin.
William Holloway House / Rose Hill, Hillsdale Street, Richmond, Kentucky
In the interior a curved stairwell and winding staircase with turned balusters continue the stylish ornament present on the exterior. The house once had massive walnut cupboards and silver doorknobs. Plaster rosettes, with a particularly complex one centered above the staircase, mark the ceilings. The plaster cornice is intricately detailed. Projecting cornices over shouldered architrave door frames contain the same egg-and-dart motif and bead molding that can be seen on the exterior entablature of the frontispiece.
One of Richmond’s most recognized buildings, the Holloway House is the largest example in Richmond of Greek Revival styling in a residence. Five bays, separated by brick pilasters, pierce the front facade which is laid in a Flemish bond. A plain classical entablature beneath a low-pitched gable roof surrounds this single-pile residence. The entablature and raking cornice create pediments on the gable ends. Tall, flutted Ionic columns on a three-bay two-story portico in the center of the front facade support this same entablature as well as a classical pediment. Transoms and sidelights in the central doorway are surmounted by an orate entablature having acanthus leaf detailing and are framed by simple pilasters. The design for this frontispiece was adapted from drawings by Minard Lafever (1797-1854), a New York-New Orleans architect and author of several design books.
Originally named Rosehill, the Holloway resident once faced, uninterrupted, the entrance to the Richmond Cemetery (MASE-23) and stood on a thirty-two acre estate owned by William Holloway (1810-1883), a leading Richmond merchant, and his wife Elizabeth Field. Reputedly, Bereans were lodged in the house in 1859 while fleeing Kentucky, and it reportedly was open to Union soldiers during the battle of Richmond. Jonathan T. Estill, its second owner, was a major and paymaster in the Union Army. The house was called Estillhurst during Estill’s ownership.
The Holloway House was purchased in 1938 by the Telford community Center, a corporation devoted to civic, religious,